Mee Siam (Stir-fried vermicelli)😋 – a spicy & tangy noodle dish made from thin rice vermicelli/bihon that I love to have for breakfast growing up🤗. The tartness from the tamarind juice makes it really appetizing & I have simplified it with ingredients on hand along with substitutions for you. Enjoy & wish all of you a safe & well one, friends. Best, WoonHeng❤️ [gluten-free, vegan]
Recipe (yields 4-5 servings)
– 250g dried vermicelli/rice stick (or dried noodles)
– 2-3 cups [250g] chopped cabbage
– 1 medium carrot, sliced
– 4oz firm tofu (optional) – pressed, pan-fried & seasoned with salt
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 1 small shallot, sliced
– a handful of chopped green onions
– fried shallots for toppings
– oil for cooking
– 2 cups [472g] veggie broth (adjust for other noodles)
– 1 tablespoon ketchup for a hint of red
– 1/2 tablespoon sugar (omit if your ketchup is sweet)
– 3 teaspoons tamarind juice or 1 teaspoon lime juice
– 3 teaspoons sambal or red chili paste
– 1 1/2 teaspoons hot bean paste (or sub with Doenjang or Miso)
– 1/2 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
✅To prepare the vermicelli, soak them in cold water until soft to handle (used WaiWai brand), then drain until ready to use. Please prepare according to the package’s instructions if other noodles are used.
✅Mix the sauce ingredients in a bowl until well combined & set aside.
✅In a heated non-stick pan with 1 tablespoon oil, sauté shallots until aromatic, then add carrot & continue to cook for 45 secs. Add the garlic & saute until fragrant.
✅Add in the sauce ingredients & give it a quick stir. Turn up the heat, add in tofu (if using) & chopped cabbage. Toss until well combined.
✅Add the vermicelli, then using a pair of tongs, mix everything together until all sauce has been absorbed (add chopped green onions here).
✅Garnish with fried shallots & serve warm with red chili, lime & more sambal, if preferred.
#meesiam #glutenfree #makesmewhole #buzzfeedfood #foodgawker #noodles #lunessincarne #f52grams #food52 #tohfoodie #bestofvegan #makanmakan #thrivemags #gloobyfood #thefeedfeed #woonheng #sgeats #malaysianfood #stayhome #instayum