Sharing the recipe for these Orange Tofu Skewers with Pandan Rice ❤️ really enjoyed this bowl because I love a good crispy tofu coated in a good sauce with a really fragrant pandan rice! Get the recipe:
Orange Tofu Skewers with Pandan Rice
Makes 5 skewers, Good for 2-3 people
1/2 cup uncooked white rice
1/2 cup uncooked glutinous white rice*
1 tsp @suncorefoods pandan powder
3 cups water *Note: you can opt to use a total of 1 cup regular rice and then lessen water to 2 cups
1. In a rice cooker, add in the rice and water. Mix in the powder using a spoon. Leave to cook.
2 200g blocks tofu extra firm tofu
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 tsp salt
2 bell peppers
1 large red onion
Canola or other neutral oil, for cooking
5 barbecue sticks, soaked in water (to prevent from burning)
Sesame seeds and spring onions, for garnishing
1. Drain excess liquid from the tofu blocks by wrapping them in towels and then placing a heavy flat surface (such as a pan or plates) on top. Leave to sit for 10-12 minutes until the liquid has been absorbed by the towels.
2. Slice tofu into 1 to 1.5-inch thick cubes.
3. Mix cornstarch and salt into a plate. Coat the tofu in the cornstarch mixture. Repeat for the rest of the tofu.
4. Slice the bell peppers and onions into small squares/rectangles around the same size as your tofu. Arrange the bell peppers and tofu into the sticks.
5. Heat a frying pan. Add in enough oil to cover the surface of the pan. Add in the skewers. Cook each side on medium heat until tofu is golden brown and crisp. Repeat for each side.
6. After each side is cooked, brush with the sauce while still hot (so the tofu can absorb the sauce). Enjoy while hot with rice!
1 1/2 tbsp @suncorefoods carrot powder
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp soy sauce
1/4 cup + 3 tbsp water
1/2 tbsp cornstarch + 2 tbsp room temp. water, mixed into a slurry
1. Add all sauce ingredients in a sauce pan. Leave to simmer over medium heat and mix until well combined. Once it boils, add in the cornstarch slurry. Mix until thick. Turn off heat and set aside.
Storage tip: Store sauce in an air tight container and refrigerate for up to 1 week.