New recipe below! Crispy Herb Fried ‘Chicken’ Fillets with an Easy Gravy. Served with some mashed potatoes! This was a recipe I worked on a little while back but only had the chance to share now. It’s been a busy past few days since MY EBOOK IS COMING OUT IN 3 DAYS! 😱 So excited (and kind of scared) for you guys to see it! In the mean time, here are the recipes!
Crispy Herb Fried ‘Chicken’ Fillets
Makes 12 ‘fillets’
3 240g blocks of extra firm tofu
Spice mix + coating
½ cup all purpose flour
½ cup bread crumbs
1 tsp salt
½ tbsp dried thyme
½ tbsp dried basil
½ tbsp ground black pepper
2 tsp ground paprika
½ tbsp dried rosemary, crushed
½ tbsp garlic powder
½ cup flour
1 tbsp + 2 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
½ cup water
1. Drain water from the tofu by wrapping them in paper towels and then placing a heavy flat surface (a board or plate) on top of each. Leave for 15 minutes until water has been absorbed by the towels.
2. Slice each blog of tofu horizontally into ¾ to 1-inch thick slabs then into half to create 4 ‘fillets’ for each block of tofu.
3. Prepare the batter by mixing all the ingredients until smooth. In another container, prepare the spice and coating mix by mixing everything together.
4. Dip the slabs of tofu into the batter. Transfer to the spice mix and coating. Coat well and evenly. Repeat this for the rest of the slabs.
5. Heat the oil in a frying pan. Once hot, add in the tofu. Fry for around 6-8 minutes over medium heat until golden brown. Take out from the oil, then turn off the heat.
6. Drain excess oil by placing the tofu on a strainer or on a plate with paper towels. Enjoy with some mashed potatoes and gravy (recipe below).
Easy Vegan Gravy _ 2 cups vegetable stock or water* 1 tbsp vegan butter or olive oil 1/4 cup flour 1 tsp onion powder 1/2 tsp black pepper 2 tbsp soy sauce Salt to taste *Season well if using water
1. In a pan, heat the butter or oil. Add in the flour and mix until a paste is formed.
2. Add in the rest of the ingredients.
3. Mix well and simmer for 8-10 minutes until thick and smooth. Add salt to taste then mix well. Best enjoyed while hot!