This Mexican bean salad is a great dish to use the Instant Pot for batch cooking the base ingredients, legumes and fresh veggies, required to make a satiating, healthy salad. It works as its own summer meal or you can bring it as a side dish to a picnic or a barbecue. It’s vegan and gluten-free friendly.
Instant Pot Mexican Bean Salad
- 1/2 cup dried white beans, soaked in water for 2–3 hours
- 1/2 cup dried black beans, soaked in water for 2–3 hours
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved (or 2 medium tomatoes, diced)
- 1/3 cup chopped scallions / green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro / coriander
- 1/2 long red chili, chopped
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seed powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 garlic clove, grated or minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- Other options: diced avocado, tortilla chips, chopped jalapenos
- Strain and rinse the pre-soaked beans. Add to the inner pot of the Instant Pot together with 3 cups of water and a teaspoon of salt. Stir through, place and lock and lid and set to Manual, HIGH pressure for 12 minutes. After 3 beeps, the Instant Pot will start to build up the pressure and begin the cooking process.
- Once the timer goes off, allow 15 minutes for natural pressure release and then use quick release (point the valve on top of the lid to Venting) to let off the rest of the steam/pressure. Strain and rinse the cooked beans, leave in the sieve to cool down completely (to speed up the cooling process, spread the beans on a flat tray).
- Add the cooked beans to a mixing bowl together with the rest of the salad ingredients and mix through really well.
#instantpot #instantpotcooking #instantpotrecipes