You will fall in love with this gorgeous and moist Instant Pot carrot cake ?????? the minute you taste it. It’s nut-free and perfect with a cup of tea. ☕☕
Instant Pot Carrot Cake
For the cake
- 10–12 dried apricots, diced into small cubes (about 80 g / 3 oz)
- ¼ cup (30 ml / 1 oz.) of dark rum (such as Mount Gay)
- 7 oz / 200 g carrots, finely grated (2 medium)
- Zest of 1 orange
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- ¼ cup mixed seeds (pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds etc)
- 4.5 oz / 125 g butter unsalted (half a stick)
- 3 medium to large eggs
- 1 cup (5 oz / 150 g) brown sugar
- 2 cups (7oz / 200 g) self-raising wholemeal flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarb soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon dried ginger (optional, but very nice)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- A little extra butter and flour for the cake tin
- 7.5” round springform cake tin
Cream cheese icing
- 8.8 oz / 250 g full-fat cream cheese (feel free to use light version)
- 3 heaped tablespoons of Greek yoghurt
- 1/3 cup icing sugar
- A little bit of lemon and orange zest (optional, but lifts it up slightly)
Decorations (your choice!)
- Berries or other fruit of choice (I used physalis and figs)
- Extra seeds
- Finely sliced lemon and/orange rind
- Prepare the ingredients for the batter: mix the diced apricots with the rum and set aside; in another bowl, mix the grated carrots, orange and lemon zest and the mixed seeds in and set aside; in a microwave or on a stove, melt the butter and allow to cool slightly.
- In another bowl, whisk together the eggs and brown sugar. Add the melted butter and whisk again until well combined. Set aside.
- Add the flour to a larger mixing bowl. Sprinkle evenly with bicarb soda, spices and salt and mix through. Stir in the sugar and egg mixture into the dry ingredients. Add the carrots, apricots (including the rum), citrus zest, and seeds and drizzle the lemon juice (it helps to activate the bicarb soda). Fold through until well combined.
- Grease a round springform cake tin with some butter (about a teaspoon), making sure the sides and the bottom are evenly covered. Dust the sides and the bottom with a little flour. This will stop the cake from sticking to the tin. Transfer the cake mixture to the tin and smooth the top.
- Add a cup of water to the Instant Pot’s inner pot. Place a trivet on the bottom, with the handles facing up. Place the cake tin on top of the trivet above the water. Gently cover the tin with foil, overlapping and folding the edges slightly but not too tight. Allow some space for the cake to rise.
- Place and lock the Instant Pot lid, making sure the vent is set to Sealing. Press Manual setting, HIGH pressure and adjust the time to 20 minutes. After 3 beeps, the Instant Pot will start cooking. Once the timer goes off, allow the pressure to release naturally (about 15 minutes). Open the lid carefully, lift and remove the foil. Allow the heat to escape and then carefully remove the trivet and the cake tin to a plate or the kitchen bench top. Allow the cake to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then release the spring and remove the tin from around the cake. The easiest way to remove the bottom of the cake tin, is to place another plate on top of the cake and turn it upside down. Then carefully remove the bottom and allow the cake to cool slightly while upside down. Then turn it back around and place on a serving plate.
- While the cake is cooling, prepare the cream cheese icing by combining and mixing all ingredients in a bowl. Set aside.
- Time to finish the cake! Spread the cream cheese icing over the top of the cake and decorate with your choice of fruit, berries, seeds, nuts, zest or small pieces of carrots. Store in the fridge for 5-6 days. Ideally, allow it to come to room temperature when serving.
#instantpot #instantpotcooking #instantpotrecipes