Pad Kee Mao by @mymeatlessmeals
Pad Kee Mao translates to Drunken Stir Fry or a Stir Fry created by/ for drunkards. As a Thai, I can fully say, I don’t know the origin of this dish. But I have heard a story about how it was created, which is most likely bollocks, but bear with me. It is believed that Pad Kee Mao was created by a wife whose husband enjoyed drinking way too much. One night, her husband and his friends demanded food to binge with their drinks. As it was late, she couldn’t go out to buy them food. So, she whipped up this dish in her own kitchen, putting everything she could find in a wok, made it so spicy that it hurt, and served it. When asked what it was called, she responded sarcastically “Pad Kee Mao” with the intention to call her husband a drunk. They ended up liking it.
Like I said, this is most likely rubbish.
Since the so called origin indicates that there are no requirements for specific instructions nor ingredients in order to achieve this dish. I’m just going to make it my way. 😁
Here is how to make the easiest Spaghetti Pad Kee Mao (so unauthentically- don’t drag me, I’m Thai).
• 200 g spaghetti or any noodles, cooked al dente
• 2 tbs olive oil
• 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
• 1 tbs chili flakes
• 200 g mushrooms
• 100 g cherry tomatoes, halved
• 20 g green peppercorns • 1 tsp salt (1/2 tsp if using table salt)
• 3 tbs tamari
• 1/4 tsp coconut sugar
• a handful of fresh Italian basil leaves
1. Sauté garlic until becomes golden in colour and add chili flakes. Continue to cook on low heat until fragrant.
2. Add vegetables, followed by salt and sauté until thoroughly cooked.
3. Add cooked pasta (hot) and season with tamari and coconut sugar. Mix well.
4. Sprinkle basil leaves on top and fold everything together. Serve hot.
5. Indulge. 🌶🌶
#vegan #vegancommunity #veganrecipes#yummy #govegan #veganism #vegetarian#homecooking #recipe #meatless#veganfoodvideos #vegansofinstagram#vegansofig #veganfoodshare#letscookvegan #instafood #veganvideos#vegancooking #dairyfree #veganfoodporn@peta #veganeats #foodporn #herbivore#plantbased #recipevideo #foodvideos#whatveganseat #simplecooking#plantbasedfood