Nasi Lemak ‘rich & creamy rice’ is probably one of the first few Malay words that my kids learned to say when they visited Malaysia. To them, nasi lemak means a ? rice meal wrapped in banana leaf. To me, it’s a quintessential breakfast growing up❤️. The key ingredient to a good nasi lemak is the Sambal, the red patch of yumminess sitting on top of the rice. Sambal is a spicy chili blend with a touch of sweetness made from fresh red chilies, fragrant spices & then cooked down into a paste. Everyone has their own sambal recipe & it varies depending on their preferred taste. I made mine with what’s available & highly recommend making a big batch of it & store it for future use. Sambal is very versatile & normally used for curry laksa, curries, or try it as a savory jam for your toasts. ?See my stories on how to make this delicious paste.
?Coconut rice: rice cooker method
– 2 cups Jasmine rice, 1 3/4 cup (240g)water, 1/2 cup (125g) coconut milk, 1/2 teaspoon salt, knotted pandan (optional)
– 300g (1.5 cups) tomatoes, blended
– 1 medium-sized onion, finely chopped
– 1/2 cup (100g) sambal, salt to taste
– 300g (2.5 cups) potatoes, cubed
– 2 tablespoons sambal, 2 cups (500ml) water, 1/4 cup coconut milk, salt to taste
1. To prepare the coconut rice, rinse Jasmine rice with tap water a few times, then drain. Place rice in the inner pot of the rice cooker along with knotted pandan leaves (if using), water & a pinch of salt. Turn on your rice cooker. Add in coconut milk (do not stir) during the last few minutes of cooking. Fluff rice with a fork once it’s cooled.
2. To make the tomato sambal, heat a non-stick pan with 3 teaspoons oil, then sauté onion until translucent. Add the blended tomatoes, sambal & continue to cook for about 5 mins over medium heat by stirring continuously until it turns into a thick paste. Turn off the heat.
3. To make the curry potatoes, place cubed potatoes & sambal in a pot. Add enough water to cover the potatoes, place a lid over & cook until potatoes are fork-tender. Season with salt, add coconut milk & stir to combine.