Karipap😋 – a popular Southeast Asian snacks that are filled with a thick curry potato filling & then deep-fried for that crunchy layer. I tested the baked/air-fried version for you to try as well😊. Karipap brings back my childhood memories😍 – it only cost me less than a quarter back in the days to get one. I served mine with teh tarik (pulled tea) for a delicious afternoon treat. Enjoy your weekend & stay safe, friends.❤️
Recipe (makes 10 curry puffs)
– 250g [2 cups + 1 tablespoon] all-purpose flour (see note using cup measurement)
– 125g [1/2 cup] ice cold water
– 67g [about 5 tablespoons] vegan butter – see instruction
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
– 300g Russet potatoes, cut into small cubes
– 2-3 cups water – (start with the lowest)
– 1 small onion – finely chopped
– 1/2 cup [65g] frozen peas & carrots
– 1-2 tablespoons curry powder/paste (adjust accordingly)
– 1 tablespoon vegetable seasoning sauce (optional)
– 3 teaspoons coconut sugar
– salt & black pepper to taste
– oil for cooking
1. To prepare the dough, mix flour & salt until incorporated in a mixing bowl. Cut vegan butter in cubes & rub the flour with it using your fingertips until you get a coarse sandy-like mixture. Add more butter if needed. Add water, then mix & knead into a soft dough. Cover bowl with a lid & refrigerate.
2. Meanwhile, sauté onion in 3 teaspoons oil until translucent (if using freshly chopped carrot, add them here). Add potatoes, curry powder & give it a good stir. Then, add enough water to cover the surface of the potatoes. Season with seasoning sauce, salt, sugar & black pepper. Cook until potatoes are fork-tender, then fold in frozen peas, carrots & divide into 10 portions.
3. To make the wrapper, remove dough from the fridge & divide it into 10 equal portions. Take one dough & roll it into a circular wrapper to about 4″ diameter. Place filling in the middle, fold & pleat to seal the edge.
4. Fry method (pictured): Preheat a tall pan with oil to about 350F/170°C, slowly drop in curry puffs & fry until golden brown on all sides. See comments👇🏻 for bake/air-fried method.