Instant Pot Kale Garlic Dal – this dal has robust flavors from lots of garlic and packs a healthy punch! It’s vegan and super easy to make.
Instant Pot Kale Garlic Dal
- 2 teaspoons oil, use oil of choice, I used avocado oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon hing, also known as asafetida
- 2 dried red chilies, whole or use broken for spice
- 6-7 large garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 cup toor/arhar dal, washed, also known as split pigeon peas lentil
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 cup onion tomato masala, frozen or thawed
- 4 cups water, divided
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1 small lemon, juice of
Press the saute button on the Instant Pot. Once it displays hot, add the oil and then add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Let the seeds pop. It’s important for the mustard seeds to pop else they taste bitter.
Then add hing (asafetida), dried red chilies (I break them before adding to the pot) and roughly chopped garlic. Cook for 2 minutes until the garlic starts turning golden brown.
Add the rinsed toor dal (split pigeon peas lentil) , turmeric powder, salt and 1/2 cup of the frozen onion tomato masala (I added frozen, you may thaw it).
Then add 3 cups of water and mix well.
Close the pot with its lid and press the manual or pressure cook button. Cook on high pressure for 7 minutes, with the pressure valve in the sealing position. Let the pressure release naturally.
Open the pot and press saute, add the remaining 1 cup of water to the dal at this point if it looks too thick. This is optional, if you like thick dal don’t add any water. I did add 1 cup water at this point.
Then add chopped kale and stir. Let the dal simmer on saute for 2 minutes until the leaves wilt.
Squeeze lemon juice into the dal and stir.
Serve kale garlic dal over rice, quinoa, cauliflower rice or whatever grain you prefer!
#instantpot #instantpotcooking #instantpotrecipes