Hello September! Welcoming the cooler (at least in Philippine standards) weather with these plates of tomato and basil risotto. Recipe below! ?
And I can’t believe it’s September and it felt like this year went by so fast. But here’s to what’s ahead and the exciting holiday season that’s to come! Oh and the holiday season starts as early as September here in the Philippines so I’ll probably be hearing lots of Christmas songs around ?
Tomato and Basil Risotto
1/4 cup red onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp olive oil
3/4 cup arborio rice (this is essential)
1/4 cup dry white wine (optional but highly recommended!)
1 cup chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp basil, chopped
1 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 cup sundries tomatoes
3 1/2 cups vegetable stock
1 tsp salt, or to taste*
Extra basil for topping *the seasoning of your risotto will depend greatly on your stock so if your stock is well seasoned, you’ll need to add minimal salt to the risotto
1. Prepare your stock. I simply boiled around 4 cups of water then added in a cube of vegetable stock. You can opt to make your own stock by boiling leeks, celery, carrots, and onions with a generous amount of salt for 3 hours.
2. In a large pan/pot, heat the olive oil. Add in the onions. Sauté until tender. Add in the garlic.
3. Once cooked, add in the chopped tomatoes. Sauté for 2 minutes. Add in the arborio rice. Coat in the oil-tomato mixture well.
4. Pour in the white wine. Mix until it has been absorbed (the rice will turn a bit creamy). 5. Pour in 1 cup of the stock to the rice. Add in the tomato paste, basil, and sun dried tomatoes.
6. On medium heat, continue to mix frequently until the rice absorbs the stock. Keep stirring until the rice absorbs the liquid.
7. Add another 1/2 cup of the stock. Mix frequently until it is absorbed. Repeat this step every 5 mins or so.
8. After 25 mins or so, rice should be perfectly cooked. Season with salt as needed.
9. The rice should still be chewy or al dente. If the risotto is too dry, feel free to add in 1/4 cup of stock and mix well.
10. Serve and enjoy immediately!