It wouldn’t be summer without Sloppy Joes. Loaded with vegetables and made with grass-fed beef, these Instant Pot sloppy joes are a healthier, more nutrient-dense version of your favorite comfort food.
Healthy Sloppy Joes (Paleo, Instant Pot, GF)
For the sauce
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, finely diced
- 1 large carrot, diced into small cubes
- 2 celery sticks, diced into small cubes
- A handful of spinach, chard or another leafy green vegetable, diced
- 6 mushrooms, diced into cubes
- 1 + 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 garlic cloves, minced or diced
- About 1 lb / 500 g ground beef mince
- 1 can of chopped tinned tomatoes (400 g)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos (or Tamari gluten-free soy sauce)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar (brown sugar can also be used)
- 1 onion stock cube (or 1 tablespoon onion soup powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- Pinch of chilli flakes
- ¼ cup water
For sweet potatoes
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut in halves lengthways
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt for seasoning
- To make the sweet potatoes, preheat the oven to 200 C / 400 F. Place the sweet potato halves onto a baking sheet covered with some parchment/baking paper. Drizzle with olive oil and place in the oven, middle shelf, for 35-40 minutes. We recommend doing this just before cooking the sauce, to get the timings about right. If making the sauce ahead of time, you can, of course, bake the potatoes at a later stage. Or, you can also prebake the sweet potatoes or even boil them, and reheat just before serving.
- To make the sloppy joes, turn the Instant Pot on. Press the Sauté function key and allow the pot to heat up for 1-2 minutes. Add the olive oil, onions, carrots, and celery and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring a few times. Then add the rest of the ingredients and stir through really well. Please note, you only need a little extra water because you will have enough liquid from the tinned tomatoes, juices from the vegetables and the meat. Press Cancel/Keep Warm to stop the Sauté process.
- Place and lock the lid, making sure the steam valve is pointing at Sealing. Press Manual, HIGH pressure and adjust the timing to 10 minutes. The Instant Pot will beep three times and the pressure will start to build. Once the timer goes off, allow 10 minutes for natural pressure release and then use quick release method (QR) -by turning the steam valve to Venting – to let the rest of the steam and pressure out.
- Open the lid, and press Sauté again. Cook the sauce for 10 minutes with no lid on, stirring frequently. This final stage is used to thicken the sauce further. You can also add a little tapioca or arrowroot flour, about 1 teaspoon, (cornstarch is also fine if you wish) right at the end, to thicken the sauce further.
- Serve the sauce over baked sweet potatoes, topped with favourite fresh herbs and maybe a lovely, crispy green salad.
#instantpot #instantpotcooking #instantpotrecipes