Braised tofu rice bowl ‘素滷肉飯’😋- a simple & satisfying protein that my kids love at any given day😍. This veganized version is inspired by the iconic comfort food from Taiwan ‘Lu Rou Fan’ (yes, I 💓this place). It’s not a complicated dish & yet packed with flavors with a perfect balance of spices & seasoning. You’ll want to make a big batch 😉& save it for your busy weeknight dinners. Enjoy & hope all is well for you, friends. Best, WoonHeng❤️
Recipe (yields 3 servings)
– 14 oz [397g] firm tofu – pressed, drained & mashed
– 4oz [130g] mushrooms – chopped (used Bella)
– 4 cloves garlic, 2 shallots – finely chopped
– 3 tablespoons [18g] green onions – chopped
– 3-4 cups [700-900g] water – start with the lowest volume
– cornstarch slurry (mix 1 tablespoon corn starch with 3 tablespoons water)
– oil for cooking, salt to taste
– blanched veggies (used bok choy) & cooked rice
– 3 tablespoons soy sauce/tamari
– 1/2 tablespoon sugar
– 1 teaspoon white pepper
– 1 teaspoon five-spice powder (adjust accordingly)
– 1/4 cup [60g] cooking wine Michiu (sub with dry sherry/veggie broth)
1. In a heated non-stick pan, cook mashed tofu until slightly dry, add 2 tablespoons of oil & continue to stir fry until golden brown & crispy.
2. Add in mushrooms, shallots, green onions (more oil if needed), then continue to cook until shallots turn translucent & mushrooms are fully cooked through. Add garlic & cook until aromatic.
3. Season with soy sauce & add in the water. Stir in five-spice powder, white pepper & cooking wine, then continue to cook until the sauce is slightly reduced. Taste test & season accordingly. If you need more sauce, add a little more water here.
4. Finally, add the cornstarch slurry to thicken the sauce by stirring constantly over low-medium heat.
5. Serve warm with rice & a side of blanched veggies.
#taiwanesefood #luroufan #bestofvegan #easyrecipes #plantbased #tofurecipes #forkyeah #sgeats #buzzfeedfood #foodgasm #f52grams #tohfoodie #food52 #foodandwine #vegana #eatrealfood #gloobyfood #feedfeed #woonheng #lunessincarne #makesmewhole #instayum #滷肉飯 #stayhome #thrivemags