An easy weekday meal inspiration: Chinese-Style no Beef and Broccoli served over rice for a delicious and super satisfying meal 🍚 Plus, this recipe is really easy and requires really basic ingredients you probably already have on hand! Get the full recipe below or on www.thefoodietakesflight.com 🥦 have a great week rest of the week!
10 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked in hot water for 12-15 minutes*
2 cups (250g) raw broccoli florets
¼ cup room temp. water
1 small (70g) red bell peppers, sliced into strips
½ red onion, sliced into strips
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp canola or other neutral cooking oil
Sesame seeds and chopped spring onions for garnishing
3 cups of steamed white rice or other rice, for serving
*Feel free to use fresh shiitake mushrooms.
¼ cup soy sauce
¼ cup + 1 tbsp room temp. water
¼ cup coconut sugar, adjust according to desired sweetness
1 ½ tbsp Chinese rice wine, optional but highly recommended
1 ½ tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp sesame oil
1. Rehydrate the dried mushrooms by soaking in hot water. Squeeze out excess liquid from each mushroom and then slice them into 1/2-inch thick strips. If using fresh mushrooms, simply slice them into strips. Set aside.
2. In a bowl, mix all the sauce ingredients together until the sugar is diluted. Set aside.
3. Heat a non-stick or cast iron pan. When hot, add in 1 tbsp canola or neutral oil. Sauté the onions and garlic until tender and aromatic, around 2-3 minutes. Add in the broccoli florets. Pour ¼ cup water and leave to cook over medium high heat until half-cooked. Add in the bell peppers and sauté for a few more minutes.
4. Add in the mushrooms. Pour in the sauce mixture. Mix everything together and leave to simmer over medium heat until the sauce has thickened from the cornstarch. Turn off heat.
5. Serve with some steamed rice. Garnish with some sesame seeds and spring onion, if desired. Enjoy while hot!
Direct recipe link: https://www.thefoodietakesflight.com/post/vegan-not-beef-and-broccoli